Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Skating off the Calories


Tuesday's Goals
Exercise: Cardio
Calories: 2000

Tuesday's Accomplishments
Exercise: Figure Skating (50 minutes)
Calories: 2000

Today was an interesting food day. Being that it was a higher calorie day, I was able to splurge a little and eat things that normally have too many calories to fit into my program.

For breakfast, I made an egg, vegetarian sausage & cheese sandwich on Tuscan Pane bread, GRILLED (540). Mmm mmm Mmmm. Man, that bread is so damned good. I can't even describe it in words - it's beyond description! For lunch, all I could think of was ice cream so I had a whole bunch of Ben & Jerry's frozen yogurt (820). No, not as rich and creamy as their ice cream, but more bulk for the calories! For dinner I had a large piece of the baked tilapia I made the other night which I heated in a wrap with cheddar and mustard (640). Very tasty.

So it wasn't the healthiest or most well-balanced diet today but this is the kind of eating that keeps me on the program, so I guess it's not a bad thing.

I went figure skating today at a local rink near where I live. The people that run that place need to seriously get their act together. Every day from 12:30 - 2:30 they have a "public session" (which very few people go to) and every time I go there for public session, there is nobody manning the desk and I have to go upstairs to their business office to hunt them down to tell them I am there for skating so they can get the lights turned on in the rink and I can pay. And today, as if that was not bad enough, the ice was not cut on the rink they sent me to. It was all shredded up as though a hockey team had just played a game on it. So I had to go back upstairs to get the guy and told him the ice was not cut. So he calls his coworker over who says, yes indeed he DID cut the ice and that's just the way it looks when hockey teams have been using it a lot. Well, I have been skating for over a year now and I know darned well that freshly cut ice is not full of deep grooves like that. Lame!

The thing is, I understand that they don't get a lot of business for public sessions and they probably figure they're not making big bucks off the public session people, since there are so few of us (I was the only one there today), but this is my argument: DON'T OFFER PUBLIC SESSIONS if you are not going to administrate them properly!!!!

That's my vent for today. I am so tired of this stuff I am probably going to send a letter to management. Every time I go there there is a problem. One time, my colleague (who got me into skating) and I actually had to turn around and go back to work because the ice was so bad, it wasn't fit for figure skates.

At any rate, they ended up moving me to rink #2 which had better cut ice and I had a good skating session. Skating is such an amazingly fun form of exercise. I just love it and don't even think of it as exercise. I wear my IPod and listen to my favorite tunes and pretend I am Oksana Baiul. Nobody is usually there but me, so it's easy to pretend. I even do the fancy hand flourishes and pretend there is an audience there watching.

I know, I am lonely.

1 comment:

dlvblueyed said...

Sorry you had a tough time getting started, but glad you had fun once you were able to skate on the second rink. Sounds like great exercise for body and mind.

Keep up the good work.