Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Swimming (in pool and in clothes)

Wednesday's Goals
Exercise: Cardio
Calories: 1400

Wednesday's Accomplishments
Exercise: Cardio & Swimming
Calories: 1400


I woke up really early this morning and I was off today (vacation day) so I decided to go to the gym. I did 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical machine alternating with walking/jogging around the track). After that I swam laps for 30 minutes and finished my gym visit with a nice soak in the jacuzzi which was EXTRA hot today (oh yeah!).

My calories were right on target today. For breakfast I had a shake (300). For lunch I had lite ice cream with whipped topping (536). To make up for the somewhat unhealthy lunch, I made a super healthy dinner of fish creole (fish simmered in a spicy tomato-based vegetable sauce) - (569).

I was dismayed today to discover that my favorite coat (a brown suede coat with faux fur trim that Mama Leone gave me) is now so big on me that I am swimming in it. Last winter it was so tight on me, I could barely button it and now it is draping off me to the point of looking ridiculous - the sleeves are even too long! It is the strangest thing to put on something like that and it fits you totally differently. So although I am happy that I have reduced my size that much, I think this will be the last year I can wear it, and even then it is going to look a little silly unless I am wearing super bulky clothes underneath.

I invented a pretty delicious dessert tonight (at least it looks delicious...I haven't actually tried it yet because I didn't have enough calories left after dinner). A couple days ago, I took some ripe bananas, peeled them and broke them in half. Then, I inserted a popsicle stick in each banana half and froze them. Tonight, I dipped each frozen banana pop into melted Ghiardelli bittersweet dark chocolate chips and put them back in the freezer. I came up with a pretty ingenious way to calculate the calories of the pops. The banana part was easy...I just looked up that value in the Calorie King book. Then, what I did was weigh the banana pop in grams (before dipping) and then weigh again after dipping to calculate the number of grams of chocolate. Then I just looked at the chocolate chip package to calculate calories per gram and added the banana calorie value and chocolate value together. Each pop averaged about 160-170 calories. I decided to make some of them extra special by rolling them in crushed peanuts. Those average about 220/piece.

So while not a SUPER low calorie dessert, it will be a nice moderately low-cal dessert on days when I only have a couple hundred calories left. And they are pretty substantial in weight. Since most of the weight is the banana, you get a decent sized dessert for the calories.

Here's the recipe.

2 comments:

dlvblueyed said...

That sounds like a great dessert and it sounds like you really enjoyed your time at the gym. Great job doing so much exercise!!

I am sure that you will be able to find new clothes that are great too--I know it must be sad to have to discard some of your favorite things, but all for a good cause.

Nice work today!

Mama Leone said...

Looks like we were thinking along the same lines, Sassy. Chocolate bananas are delicious!! Glad you had a nice day at the gym. Sorry to hear that the jacket doesn't fit, but then again that's a good thing.Keep going!!