Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Back on the Wagon (again!)

Well, I'm back again and I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

Let's start with the bad news. You guessed it. I haven't been really sticking to the diet the past week, even though I told you I was back on the wagon. I did make a good start and really was making a gung-ho effort, but again, I was derailed by the stress I have been under with school and I blew it.

Now, the good news. I finished the first draft of my masters thesis this past weekend and sent it off to my advisor. So I am just awaiting his feedback. Hopefully he will not want me to make major revisions - keep your fingers crossed. So the masters is pretty much done.

Now I just have one more paper to write for the class I am taking, but that is just a regular paper, not a huge monstrocity like the masters. I can probably knock it out within a couple weekends at the library. I intend to get right on it and get it over with so I can really put this stress behind me.

The other bit of good news is that although I haven't been great with the diet, I have been right on the ball with my exercise. I think I worked out 5 days last week. So really, I've been only half off the ball. But let's face it, while exercise is essential and very effective for toning and supporting weight loss, the diet is critical for weight loss. I've always been an avid exerciser, even at my highest weight, but never lost anything (in fact I gained!) until I incorporated diet.

So yesterday I started in earnest again.

Exercise Goal: Cardio

I did The Firm's Ultimate Calorie Blaster. Still rebounded through some of it, but I actually did the step aerobics for more of it this time. I think the thing with step aerobics that repels me at times is that sometimes the choreography gets too complex and I get confused about what step I am supposed to be doing. But I have noticed that the more I do this video, the more I remember and now it's becoming more fun and I am getting lost less frequently. I also realize that it's probably good to do step once in awhile because it's keeping my brain on its toes and is mentally challenging (which they say is good as you age). I still maintain, though, that rebounding is the best cardio workout. It's fun, fun, fun, it really gets my heartrate up, it's easy on the joints, it's great for the endocrine system and jumping is also good for the bones.

Calorie Goal: 1400

Breakfast:
The usual chocolate protein shake with malt (320)
Lunch:
Breaded tilapia sandwich on whole wheat bread with a little cheddar cheese and mustard (430)
Dinner:
My favorite salad (greens, feta cheese, chopped pear, walnuts with oil & vinegar dressing) (650)

Total Calories: 1400


1 comment:

dlvblueyed said...

Glad to see you are back on track. Great job finishing your draft of your thesis. I understand what you mean about getting lost in choreography of step, but I think you will find that it works different muscles than the rebounding. Sometimes I feel like a bumbbling fool trying to keep up with all the moves, but as I keep doing a workout I get better at it. The key is to keep moving, as you already know!! I think between your combo of strength training, rebounding and other workouts, you are doing a great job with variation!